Gretchen D. Jones,
Research Biologist, (Palynology)
- Austin College, Sherman, TX B.A. 1968
- Sul Ross State University, Alpine, TX, Biology B.S. 1984
- Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, TX, Biology M.S. 1987
- Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, Botany Ph.D. 1993
- 1982-1984 Teaching assistant and director of botany labs, Sul Ross State University,
- 1984-1987 Teaching assistant, Stephen F. Austin State University, Nacogdoches, TX
- 1986 (summer) Wildlife biologist, U.S. Forest Service, Nacogdoches, TX
- 1987-1992 Teaching assistant, Texas A&M University 1992-1993
- Research associate, Estimation of the Northern Limitations of the Africanized Honey
Project, Texas A&M University
- 1991-1993 Assistant director, Palynology Laboratory, Texas A&M University
- 1993-1995 Research biologist, Post-doctoral position, USDA, ARS, APMRU, College Station,
- 1995-Present Research biologist, USDA, ARS, APMRU, College Station, TX
Professional Society Memberships, Offices and Appointments:
- American Association of Stratigraphic Palynologists
- Electron Microscopy Society of America
- Sigma XI Texas Society of Electron Microscopy
- Texas Organization for Endangered Species
Honors and Awards:
- 1981 Chihuahuan Desert Research award, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, TX
- 1982 Biology Department Scholarship, Sul Ross State University, Alpine, TX
- 1989 Winner, First Annual Texas A&M Electron Microscopy Photographic Contest
- 1993 United Oil Co. of California, UNOCAL, award for the best application paper, awarded
by American Association of Stratigraphic Palynologists
- 1994 Wilson Award for best paper, awarded by American Association of Stratigraphic
Advisory and Consulting Appointments:
- 1989-1991 Consultant for Pollen of Ecuador project.
- 1992 Identification of pollen on four species of Noctuid moths captured in Texas using
scanning electron microscopy.
- 1992 Co-principal investigator, National Honey Board Grant
- 1992 Consultant for Pollen differentiation of Nicotiana spp. project.
- 1993 Consultant for Migration and Foraging Resources of the Long Eared Bat in Big Bend
- 1993 Consultant for the Comparison of diet of the Late Paleoindian and Early Archaic
populations from North America by dental wear.
- 1993 Consultant for The Human Brain and Mind. Tetsuya Muroyama director and unit Manager
(to air on PBS spring 1994).
- 1994-1995 Consultant for various organizations (government agencies, private industry,
and institutes) in the technical and practical applications of Entomopalynology
- 1995 Member of the USDA, ARS visioning committee